“A great body boosts confidence” – the statement is true to its core. We want to look good, picture-perfect from head to toe. Since, we all have different body types, body shapes, waist-hip ratios (WHR), we might not be satisfied with ourselves and this marks the need for cosmetic surgery- liposuction.
‘Liposuction’ can be simplified as ‘lipo’ meaning ‘fat’, and ‘suction’ meaning ‘to pump/draw out’. In all, it is a fat-removal surgical treatment that leaves us with a more proportionate body and an ideal shape. It has been in great practice since the 1980s. It can remove all of the unwanted fat from the body, even from the specific areas where exercise and diet don’t work. For Liposuction Melbourne, several clinics offer liposuction by experts and are fully qualified and accredited. However, the price range depends on the body part and the procedure.
Which body parts can undergo liposuction?
Any saggy or loosened skin can be tamed and lipoed, which explains that in any body part where an excess of skin is present, it can be removed through Liposuction Melbourne.
- Thighs (inner, outer, upper zones Mons pubis)
- Chin and neck
- Abdomen and waist (love handles)
- Calves, knees and ankles
There are no boundaries for men and women undergoing liposuction, anyone who feels like it, can get it done.
Procedure- How it works
Since it is a surgical procedure, it involves small incisions in the skin through which the tumescent anaesthesia is injected and the whole area gets numb, initiating the actual surgery.
Tumescent anaesthesia: It quells bleeding from broken blood vessels reducing bruises, makes skin look swollen and gives a better scan of fat deposits leading to efficient extraction. For its safer side and quicker recovery of the patients, it is labelled as the “gold standard” in Liposuction Melbourne.Some cosmetic surgeons use laser liposuction first to melt away the fat under the skin and tighten it, while others have an opinion of the non-necessity of laser and that it may cause aberrations due to skin already being under retraction.
A thin tube called a cannula is then inserted into the marked location and with the vibrations, the suction of fat begins mainly using power-assisted lipo (PAL) and it’s done.
Liposuction Melbourne methods
There is a wide variety of methods for fat removal, including traditional and modern ones. These are:
- Traditional liposuction: It is the original method with lots of complications, where a cannula is inserted into the body to break up and extract the fat cells from the body. However, with the use of tumescent anaesthesia, it has been improved.
- Power-assisted liposuction (PAL): It is just a modernised version of traditional liposuction, using tumescent anaesthesia, where the cannula is power-driven and generates vibrations that gently loosen down the fat, making the process a whole lot easier and less tedious. It has fewer complications and better recovery.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction (UAL): It involves using a highly precise ultrasound device that extracts fat cells using ultrasonic waves that ‘melts’ fat in the target area, which is sucked out by the cannula eventually. It is preferred for stubborn areas such as feet, ankles and chin.
- Laser-assisted liposuction (LAL) or SmartLipo or SlimLipo: While the traditional method still has risks (skin pigmentation and necrosis), this method is gentler, safer and easier. In this method, the laser probe is gently inserted into the fat layer where it dissolves the unwanted fat and tightens the loose skin simultaneously. Thus, it becomes a wonderful treatment to achieve good skin retractions with lesser risk and quicker recovery between 3-4 days post-procedure.
Out of all these methods, the surgeons recommend the best possible treatment on the basis of current body type, (physique), target body shape and also after careful examination of allergies and possible outcomes.
Also see: How to Prepare For Liposuction Surgery
Post-Liposuction recovery (Aftercare)
This procedure is not as invasive as before due to major technological advancements, but it involves a little downtime. It is advised to have a minimum 30-minute walk daily. A compression garment has to be worn on the treated area for at least 4-6 weeks (6 weeks for optimum benefit).Post-operative check-ups and assistance should be provided if some severity arises, while it’s normal to have a bit of weakness, drowsiness, stiffness and swelling with immediate results (change in shape).
Complications and side-effects
There are no life-threats or body-functions impairment. However, some common complications include:
- Temporary bruising
- Irregularities of skin
- Allergic reactions to drugs
- Some rare side-effects include:
- Anaesthesia risks (allergy to medications)
For people undergoing liposuction, it is advised to,
- Avoid crash dieting prior to the surgery
- Avoid liposuction, during pregnancy
- Have an active lifestyle
Eligibility criteria for liposuction:
- Age 18 or over
- Unsuitable for people with poor wound healing
- Unsuitable for people with weakened immune systems
- Unsuitable for people with neuromuscular disorders
- Unsuitable for people with skin disorders
- The person should comply with the treatment, understand the risks fully
- Unsuitable for people sensitive to biomaterials and medications
Concerns regarding liposuction
- Do you gain more weight after liposuction? It is a widespread rumour that after Liposuction Melbourne, the body-fat shifts to other body parts, making them look bulky and it is somewhat true and false both.There are some adipose tissues/cells left after liposuction on purpose, for maintaining healthy body functions and heat insulation and if you will store energy (be sedentary) they will start expanding whereas, if you will stay active and exercising, they will shrink and give beautiful body shape.
- How long do liposuction results last? The removed fat cells are gone forever after liposuction; however, if healthy eating habits and an active lifestyle are not maintained the remaining fat can get redistributed, making you lose your shape again.
- How much weight can be lost through liposuction? It is important to keep in mind that liposuction is a cosmetic procedure, not a weight-loss scheme. It focuses on toning body parts, giving them shape and assisting in weight-related conditions. However, one typical liposuction procedure may remove 3-5 kilograms of fat.
No method can give flawless results just as desired; Liposuction Melbourne is still a milestone in this field of cosmetic surgery and is undergoing rapid improvements, in near future, it may overcome all the shortcomings and lead the way, hopefully.