5 Things You Need to Know About Canada's Working Holiday Visa

5 Things You Need to Know About Canada’s Working Holiday Visa

Canada is the second-largest country in the world and one of the most visited countries globally.

Every year thousands of global travellers make their way to participate in its working holiday program, and this year is no different. As of March 18, 2022, 57,174 invitations have already been issued, so spots are filling up fast!

But before you make your way to start your working holiday visa application, let’s look at the top 5 things you need to know about Canada’s Working Holiday Visa (WHV) programs.

1. There’s an Age Limit

If you’re planning on putting off your working holiday in Canada, don’t wait too long.

Canada’s International Experience Class (IEC) 2022 program is open for applications, and there are not only limited spots available per country, but there’s an age limit too. The IEC program has three categories you can apply through:

  1. Working Holiday Visa
  2. Young Professionals
  3. International Co-op (Internship)

Most candidates will be eligible if they are between the ages of 18 and 35, but some nationalities under the Working Holiday category of IEC have an age limit of 30:

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Luxembourg (All categories)
  • Netherlands (Working Holiday and Young Professionals)
  • South Korea
  • Sweden (All categories)
  • United Kingdom

2. Make Sure You Have Health Insurance

One of the eligibility requirements to apply for a working holiday in Canada is that you have health insurance for the entire length of your stay. Although it’s unnecessary to have insurance when you start your Working Holiday Visa application, you will need it before getting to Canada.

Your insurance will have to cover the following:

  • Medical care
  • Hospitalization
  • Repatriation, such as covering the cost of transportation to the medical facility or back to your home country

Without sufficient health coverage, you could be denied entry into Canada.

3. Make Sure You Have Enough Funds

At number 3 on our list of the top 5 things you need to know about Canada’s Working Holiday Visa, you’ll need to have enough money saved up to cover your basic living expenses, especially if you don’t have a job lined up for when you arrive in Canada.

Regardless of the program you are applying through, the current requirement is CAN$2,500.

4. You’ll Need a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Anyone who plans to work in Canada will require a Social Insurance Number (SIN). This is a nine-digit number that your employer will need so that you can start working. Applying for a SIN shouldn’t take too much time and can be obtained from any Service Canada office.

You’ll need the following documents to apply for your SIN:

  • Passport
  • Address
  • Work Permit

Your SIN will be valid for the same length of time as your work permit but can be extended if required.

5. You’ll Also Need a Canadian Bank Account

If you intend to work in Canada, it stands to reason that you will need a Canadian bank account. Various banks in Canada, like the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) or Canadian Imperial Bank Commerce (CIBC), offer great deals and services for foreigners, such as credit card facilities.

Having a credit card will be highly useful for hiring a car, staying at a hotel, or even visiting the dentist.

4 Step Guide to a Canadian Working Holiday Visa Application

Step 1: Make sure that you meet the requirements

As mentioned previously, there are three different WHV programs that you could qualify for, each with its own set of requirements. However, it’s important to note that due to COVID regulations, you will need to be fully vaccinated to be able to enter Canada and participate in IEC 2022.

Step 2: Create an IEC profile

Once you’ve discovered which program/s you’re eligible for, it’s time to create your IEC profile. The great news is that it’s absolutely free. First, you’ll be asked to answer a few questions to help determine which categories you’re eligible for.

Step 3: Your profile is entered into IEC draw pools

Once complete, you’ll be able to submit your new IEC profile to the category draw pools that you qualify for.

Step 4: Receive an Invitation to Apply

If you are successful, you will get an Invitation to Apply (ITA), which will allow you to take the next step in your Canadian Working Holiday Visa application, which is to apply for your work permit and pay your visa fees.

You’ll have 10 days to accept your ITA and 20 days to complete and submit your work permit application.

Ready to start your Canadian adventure and aren’t sure where to start?

Now that we’ve covered the 5 things you need to know about Canada’s Working Holiday Visa, it’s time to start looking at your options. To discover the complete list of eligible countries and the steps required to apply for the IEC program, visit CanadianVisa.org.