Although we are looking for the phone with the best camera – although we can always resort to the classic cameras and camcorders for this task – to make the best videos and photographs possible, the result can be overshadowed (literally and figuratively) if we do not have the appropriate lighting.
It is not a matter of having a study at home, because fortunately there are many alternatives that allow us to record homemade videos with adequate and attractive lighting.
Sanding some light on lighting
Light power, color temperature … are some usual concepts that we use when choosing any bulb, and now it is great to have them clear so that our lighting setup fits our needs. In a bulb of any kind, the light power (real lumens) refers to how much light it provides. In this sense, it is not the same to need a bulb to provide environmental light than to use it as an alternative to a focus.
How to calculate it? Taking into account lumin/w efficiency, which is usually between 40LM/W and 90LM/W, we can estimate it with this simple formula:
Real lumens = to number of watts x 70
In the event that we bet on a bulb that does not change color, it is interesting to know what color temperature they offer, measured in Kelvin: if it is around 3,000k it will be a warm white bulb, in 4500k it is pure white and 5800k is cold white. And if it changes, we are interested in covering that spectrum of temperatures to have a versatile lighting. However, some connected bulbs also allow to adjust their intensity and even offer RGB lighting, two functions that can be useful depending on the effect we want to create.
It is also important to know the opening angle of the light: those with a closed opening angle provide a very localized light like selfie ring light, but if the fan goes from 80 to 120 degrees, the light will be more widespread.
After knowing the parameters above, it is highly recommended for you to use the right lighting source. There are many lighting sources that can be used but the one that is considered the most effective today is the ring light. How to use and set it up?
Ring lights are lamps with a circular bulb. This type of lamp allows the light to spread evenly across the face. Thus the camera will be more focused. Not only that, the color temperature and exposure can be better adjusted.
The idea of using a ring light is to place your phone, webcam or digital camera in the center and improve light distribution as well as color and video quality. For any photography activity, ring light is always a favorite tool.
Some ring light Amazon products allow more detailed settings on temperature, color brightness, remote control, and color filters.
How do I set it up?
1. You need to consider whether it will be used in conjunction with a laptop. You should also be aware that due to the higher brightness levels, the power draw tends to be greater than for other types of lamps. Plugging the ring light into a laptop or PC via a USB port has the potential to damage the device.
2. Ideally place the camera in the center of the ring light. Don’t worry, most of the products on the market are equipped with a tripod or some other type of mount.
3. Combination with laptop camera is recommended. If you combine the lamp with a laptop, it is recommended to place it above the top edge of the screen. Thus your face will be perfectly illuminated.
4. You have to check the position and bounce
Not all rooms are the same and reflection issues can be the difference between good and bad work. By experimenting with ring lights at different distances, you can see which gap works best (to produce the perfect photographic work possible). Basically, try not to direct the light at the center of the lens.
5. Color temperature setting is important. Some products are equipped with a color temperature adjustment feature. Temperatures that are too high will encourage a rougher white.
Which product is recommended?
In general there are several quality products that you can rely on in various situations but based on our experience, the Tonor TRL-20 is one of the best. This is a ring light made by Tonor, a very popular lighting brand.
Why Tonor TRL-20?
Of course there is a reason for everything and there is also a reason why we highly recommend the ring light with stand. Some of them are:
– There are 3 color modes with 10 brightness levels. The accommodated color temperature is 2700K-6500K, making it perfect for YouTube broadcast lighting, zoom conferences, makeup, online meetings, and more.
– Equipped with 160 high-quality LED bulbs built into a 12″ bulb, thus producing a higher brightness than most ring lights. The light it produces is soft and even.
– 2000H Span Life is achievable due to the high quality light board and LED bulb. There is also electrostatic shielding technology.
– The phone light ring comes with an upgraded tripod stand. It has four retractable and adjustable sections (from 16″ to 52″). This tripod has a triangular structure and non-slip rubber. Therefore it can stand upright with more stability. As a result the light base can be adjusted freely.
– The phone holder is compatible with popular smartphone brands such as Apple and Samsung.
– You can operate this ring light easily, even if you don’t have the slightest experience. You simply adjust the direction of the lights, tripod mount, and plug in a power source.
So are you now interested in applying ring light for YouTube, Zoom, and Live Streaming? Just read about this product which is Ring Light