With the advent of special services for checking the history of cars by VIN code, the life of used car buyers has become easier. The amount of information contained in the reports fully satisfies even the most demanding customers. This is not only information about thefts, traffic accidents, and operating conditions, but also the technical specifications that the manufacturer provides, the vehicle equipment, and its changes. We will tell you how to find out the engine by the VIN code, and where to find the identifier.
Where to find the VIN
The VIN code is a unique number consisting of 17 digits and Latin letters. The VIN code can be found in the documents in the registration certificate or technical passport of the car. To protect the car, a unique identifier is duplicated on the frame of the car in several places. The location depends on the brand, model, generation of the car. However, there are common places where most manufacturers place their codes. Look for them:
- under the front passenger seat (as a rule, it is covered with a plug made of upholstery material);
- on the side of the engine or on the partition between the engine compartment and the passenger compartment;
- under the driver’s seat on the floor;
- on the back side member;
- under the windshield on the left;
- in the upper part of the arch of the right wheel;
- on door sills.
What is VIN code
The VIN code is a unique number (identifier) of the vehicle, which is assigned to it at the factory. This is a 17-bit code that can use numbers and Latin letters. They are combined into groups, each of which is responsible for encoding certain information about the car and manufacturer.
The number is created in accordance with existing standards. Let’s describe the purpose of its constituent symbols and numbers:
- position 1-3. The country is encoded in the first digit and the manufacturer’s code in the second. The third digit tells about the type of vehicle.
- position 4-8. Specifications include engine type, model, body, and transmission.
- position 9. Identifier authentication.
- position 10. Year of manufacture of the car.
- position 11. Information about the automaker.
- position 12-17. body number.
How to find out the model and type of engine by VIN code
Using special tables, you can determine the model and type of power plant. In the VIN, this information is encrypted from 4 to 8 digits. The easiest way to do this is thanks to a special online service, and you can read about the verification process itself in the article “Manufacturer’s country by car VIN code”.
The VIN stores information not only about the technical characteristics of the machine. The report will include the following key data:
- mileage of the vehicle on a certain date (whether there were interferences with the operation of the odometer);
- car maintenance history;
- how many owners the car had;
- how the car was operated (taxi services, cargo transportation, etc.);
- whether the car was involved in an accident;
- technical data of the car.
Users have access to a free and paid version of the VIN code report. The advanced report contains the maximum amount of data, including information about the original configuration and its changes, insured events, theft, legal restrictions on the operation of the vehicle, etc.
You can check the VIN code, and find out the model and type of power plant in both the free and paid versions of the answer. In addition, the user gets access to the database of components, which greatly simplifies their search and order.