Several internet service providers in the US are contributing towards infrastructure to give consumers the best internet service. An internet service provider is an organization that helps you connect to the internet from home. It is exactly like a cable company, but instead of providing you with TV cable, they are providing you with the internet. The FCC or Federal Communications Commission has stated that 94% of Americans have at least three or more internet service providers around their residence. The Internet has become easily accessible for internet users, thanks to these internet service providers.
If you are looking to set up an internet connection, we recommend you try out Xfinity internet plans. Their internet service has around a 1.2TB data cap, which is more than required to fulfill basic household networking needs. Downloading speed starts from 50Mbps in the basic package with an upload speed of 5Mbps with which you will be easily able to browse and stream without any buffering. If you are a heavy internet user, there are much faster speeds for you to avail such as from 100Mbps, 400Mbps to 2Gbps.
Setting up the internet
If an internet user is looking to set up an internet connection, there are the steps he will consider.
- Internet users will need to search for an internet service provider around their area and choose whichever seems most reliable and affordable to them.
- Many internet service providers offer an internet plan with other small benefits so that internet users can save on their budgets. It is also to avoid any additional fees that are overlooked every time.
- After having chosen an internet plan, the next thing an internet user needs to get is the equipment. Either he can get it on rent from the internet service provider or he can buy his own router.
- With all the equipment in hand, the internet user will now need to set up the internet device. He can either do it himself or hire a technician to do it for him.
Types of Internet
There are also the types of internet that internet users need to consider since all of them come with their own advantages and disadvantages.
- DSL provides the cheapest internet connection, yet it is the slowest of all the connections. It is used to connect to the existing telephone lines to get to the internet, have downloading speeds of 5-25Mbps, and upload speeds of 3-5Mbps.
- Cable internet, as the name suggests, is connected to the TV cable and has a downloading speed of 50-500Mbps. The drawback of the cable internet is that since the whole neighborhood shares the cable connection, they also share the cable internet. This can lead to lots of lagging and interruption during most hours of the day.
- Fiber is the fastest wired internet connection to date, reaching up to the highest bandwidth speed of 2000Mbps. Although fiber internet is the most reliable of connection, it is also the most expensive due to its limited availability and costly infrastructure and installment.
- Satellite internet is available in all 50 states of the US and is ideal for rural and remote areas. However, due to weather and land interference, there is a possibility that plans in satellite internet come with lower data allowance and higher latency.
Which Types of the Internet are Available in My Area?
Not all types of internet are found in different areas around the US. If an internet user is living in an urban area, he is most likely to find a fiber optic internet connection. He will also have access to DSL or cable internet if he is looking for something reasonable. Internet is also offered at affordable prices in urban areas because there is too much competition between the ISPs.There may only be one high-speed internet service provider in a suburban area that the residents will have to sign up for. In rural areas, there is most likely to be some DSL internet connections. Alternatively, internet users could opt for satellite internet connection, which is fast and reliable in the absence of weather interference.
Internet Service Providers in Your Area
There are various internet service providers in the US and some of them do not have their services being offered in most cities in the US. However, the internet user can go through them, compare and decide which suits his budgetary and internet needs.
Atlantic Broadband is offering cable internet with a downloading speed of 50-1000Mbps, although it is only accessible in 13 states in the US. There is no contract with their services and no data cap either.
Xfinity Internet is famous for its wide availability in several states in the US. They are offering download speeds starting from 100Mbps up to 2000Mbps, which is the highest speed of internet connection being offered in the US.
Viasat has an internet data plan of 13-300GB/month with a speed up to 100Mbps with a very reasonable price and data restriction. They provide internet service to most towns and rural areas, where there is no cable, DSL, or fiber internet connection.
Verizon’s Fios is offering a fiber internet connection with the optical fiber wires linked from the ISP’s home office to the internet users’ home, instead of using copper wires. Their downloading speed is at 940Mbps with uploading speed almost the same.
The best way to check for current broadband offers in your area is by checking the website for broadband company.
There are some things that internet users can do manually to manage their reliable internet connection. However, the internet services being shown above vary by area and the best thing would be to look up their website and check if they are offering an internet connection in your area.