Got a Troublesome Tenant? Here's What YOu Can Do

Got a Troublesome Tenant? Here’s What You Can Do

If you are a landlord, you can expect to face certain problems. This is especially true if your tenants are not fulfilling their responsibilities that go along with renting property, such as paying for rent on time or leaving the apartment in the same condition they found it when moving in. It’s important to understand your rights, so if you have a troublesome tenant, here is what you can do.

1. Contact a lawyer

If you are looking for a quick, easy way to get rid of the tenant in your property who is not paying rent or is too rough with your place, you will be disappointed. According to the law, you must provide notice to the tenant before filing eviction papers. If this process is not done correctly, it can take longer than expected and will require more work on your part. If possible, talk to an attorney about the problem before taking additional steps. A good lawyer can give you advice on evictions and rulings that may affect your situation. Once you have decided to begin eviction proceedings, you must first provide written notice to the tenant. This is not easy and should only be done after consulting a lawyer, so you can be prepared for what’s ahead. If possible, try to gather as much information as you can about your tenant before providing written notice because this will greatly help your case later on. 

2. Call the Police if necessary

If the tenant in your property is being a nuisance or doing illegal things, it’s important to call the police. If you have proof that they are doing something wrong, such as noise complaints from neighbors or evidence of drug use in the apartment after a visit, then this should be done. Remember that when dealing with the police department, you must go above and beyond to provide proof of their wrongdoing. You will have better luck if you can pick up any illegal substances and take photos of damage to your place before calling law enforcement officers. They also need enough proof so they can make a case against the tenant in court if ownership disputes happen later on. However, it goes without saying that contacting authorities for help is only necessary when the tenant in your property is involved in illegal activity. If you are dealing with a tenant who has not paid rent, you should instead seek legal advice before filing official eviction papers. This way, you can take quick action and avoid any future headaches.

3. Notify the tenant to leave

Once you have provided written notice to the tenant, they will have a set amount of time to move out. You can contact them and tell them what has happened, or send the notice via certified mail, so you have proof it was received by the tenant. This will be a quick way of getting rid of your problem without going through court procedures. Your tenant should then complete their end of the deal by leaving your property within a specific time frame as stated in the written eviction notice. If they do not leave, you should immediately consult with a lawyer to start legal proceedings against them because this action is illegal. Once you have served papers, there are two options for ending this situation: 1) negotiate an agreement or 2) go through formal litigation proceedings. The first option is best if possible because hiring lawyers and spending too much money will not guarantee that you will get what you want. If the tenant refuses to leave, and you cannot find a suitable agreement, then it is time to go through formal litigation proceedings. 

4. Court settlements

If negotiation is not an option, formal litigation proceedings are the next step. This will require you to provide proof of eviction notice and why it must be fulfilled. You should consult with legal professionals about these steps before beginning, otherwise it could cost more money in the long run. These court-approved procedures can last for months or years, depending on the case’s complexity, but you cannot speed up this process due to legal standards. If you are dealing with a professional tenant who knows what they are doing, then you may have no choice but to wait out their lease term until the contract expires, so they will leave naturally without any additional fees on your part. While waiting, however, do everything in your power to avoid making costly mistakes that will end up hurting you. Try to maintain the property as good as you can and avoid going directly against a tenant because that could result in a lawsuit or more time wasted on a case that is already complicated enough. When the contract ends, hopefully your problem with the tenant is also resolved. 

Got a Troublesome Tenant? Here's What YOu Can Do

5. Eviction fees 

If going through official eviction proceedings takes too long, then an additional cost may arise to speed up the process. You can hire professionals who are experts in dealing with uncooperative tenants and will be on your property doing everything they can to evict them as soon as possible for a fee. If you do not want to use this out-of-pocket expense on top of the money you have already spent, then it is best if you avoid going through formal eviction proceedings and instead try to negotiate an agreement first. This way, there will be no additional fees or stress that comes from having someone else deal with your issue. However, some legal-aid lawyers might let you off for free, depending on what type of tenant has moved into your property and how long they have lived there. Just keep all options open and look at how much everything will cost. That way, you can make the best decision for your particular situation. 

There are various ways to deal with a tenant who has moved into your property, but the best course of action will depend on how much time you have and if they are willing to negotiate or not. So, if you find yourself having troubles with your tenant, follow the steps listed in this article to help deal with your problem and hopefully get them out of your property as soon as possible.