Social media has become an integral part of human life and Facebook isn’t an exception. Hackers find dubious means to steal and impost the identity of Facebook users in many ways. In this post, we are going to show you tips to protect your Facebook account from hackers and any external person.
It is on record according to zaphoria, nearly 2.7 billion people use Facebook for various reasons including business, personal interactions, fun and many more. This huge number has angered hackers to search daily for prey hence hacking. Your safety is as important as mine therefore we entreat our cherish readers to stay put, and read this post and share among families and friends.
- Enable Two Factor Authorization: Two factor authorization is a technology from Facebook meant to protect your account. It requires you to perform another action after first entering your email and password correctly. Depending on which Factor you choose, now lets assume you choose SMS verification. SMS verification requires Facebook to send a confirmation code unto your phone through text messages of which you then enter as your second password before you could have access to your account. There is a second option which uses code generated on your installed Facebook app from your phone. To enable Facebook two factor authorization, kindly go here . Be sure to have your phone with you always before initiating the SMS verification
2. Keep Records of Your Login Devices: Facebook keeps record of your devices and its best appropriate to keep the records and check often. To check your records go to Under Settings > Security and Login, Facebook shows a section called ‘Where you’re logged in’. There you can have access to all the devices you have logged in. If you find any device that’s unusual to you, kindly logout. It’s a best practice to log out all devices except the current active ones. This will give you quick alert should anyone temper with your account.
You may also read: Why Whatsapp May Delete My Account
3. Protect your profile picture
Your profile picture is used as a primary tool for identification on social media. Trouble is, anyone can create a fake Facebook account using your name and even your actual profile picture. To stop this from happening, Facebook has added a feature called ‘Profile picture guard’. Open your Facebook profile and click on the current profile picture (don’t click on ‘Update profile picture’). When the profile picture opens up, click on options at the bottom of the image and select ‘Turn on profile picture guard’. A blue shield will appear on your picture and no one will be able to share or download it anymore. Reference
4. Do not login from a device you don’t trust: Many are times we take things for jokes. Internet Cafe is one of the places I will never log on to my account with their devices because you do not know what other users are using the machine for. Stay aware from public machines and report suspicion of any kind to Facebook immediately.
5. Revoke redundant third party accesses: Many websites recently makes it easy and simple to allow you to register account with Facebook account. In fact it saves you of headaches and make it simple to create account in few simple steps. However, some third parties have loopholes in their system which are used by hackers to access your account. Not finger-pointing, some websites which requires these access have implanted hackers who use our information for dubious purposes. It’s important to revoke any website or app access you don’t longer use by visiting here
6.Keep records of your friends message history: Mostly a friend will start chatting with you in a strange manner and you begin to wonder if actually this message is coming from your friend. Wait!! Are you doubting who is behind the computer sending you those messages? Soon as you feel unease, do not reply to any message and if possible, pick your cell and try reaching your friend to verify if truly he/she is the one sending the messages. Once again do not send sensitive messages through social media if you are not sure who is responding. A certain minor mistake is deadly and must not be overlooked.
7. Login Notifications:
Login notifications will help you to get notified when someone else is trying to access your account. It means when anyone is trying to access your FB account from a computer or mobile that you haven’t used before, then Facebook will notify you by sending a message to your Email inbox, Mobile inbox. So, to enable Login notifications to your Facebook account. Create a login notification here
You may also read: Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media
Cyber security is a shared responsibility and everyone needs the eye opened. Report suspicious activities immediately to save someone. Hackers are like dogs, sniffing any where for bones and flesh to devour therefore shine your eyes whiles sloughing the internet. It’s a place of good and evil and must be handled consciously.
Always login to Facebook through www.facebook.com or the Facebook app only. Avoid third party apps promising you to protect you.
Apply common sense before you click any external links on facebook. Facebook is not the world’s commander therefore can’t protect everyone especially if you fail to reason. Some links are spams and risky to follow, make you trust the link before clicking
Be modern and run antivirus on your computer all the time to avoid spams sneaking into sensitive parts of your operating system and your browser. You will expose yourself to hackers and identity thieves if you fail to do so.
Be sure your browser is always up to date. The newest versions of internet browsers have built in security protections. For example, they might be able to warn you if you’re about to go to a suspected phishing site.
We hope our material makes sense? Please leave a comment.