Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel has this disclosed that Chelsea’s priority this summer is to strengthen their defense ahead of next season.
The Blues lost two of their key defenders this summer on a free transfer. Chelsea fans were left heartbroken when Thomas Tuchel announced after the Chelsea game against West Ham United that Antonio Rudiger will leave Chelsea at the end of the season when his contract expires.
Antonio Rudiger has grown to be one of the best defenders in the World and Europe under Thomas Tuchel. The German international joined Real Madrid last month on a four-year deal.
Andreas Christensen also left Chelsea on a free transfer to join Barcelona after turning down the chance to extend his Chelsea contract.
Veteran defender Thiago Silva who will be 38 years old in September and Youngster Trevoh Chalobah are the only center-backs in the Chelsea squad. The West London club is in the transfer market trying to sign a replacement for the two players.
The blues have agreed on a £40 million transfer fee with Napoli to sign Kalidou Koulibaly. The 31-year-old is expected to have his medicals on Wednesday and will fly to Los Angeles to join the rest of Chelsea for a pre-season tour in the United States.
They are also closing in on Manchester City defender Nathan Ake and have also expressed their interest in signing Paris Saint Germain and French international Presnel Kimpembe.
Thomas Tuchel did not hide his desire to sign more defenders this summer but did not rule out signing a striker after completing the Raheem Sterling deal after he declined to speak on rumors linking Cristiano Ronaldo and Robert Lewandowski to Chelsea.
What did Thomas Tuchel say?
In an interview with Sky Sports, The German tactician said: “I would not rule it out [signing another striker] but right now it is not the priority. The priority right now is defense, it’s not a secret. From there we need to see what’s possible.
“We’re competing against the two top teams but Tottenham did a very active and aggressive and early transfer period, they have maybe the strongest squad they ever had with one of the best coaches in the world, Man Utd is never shy of recruiting with a new coach and Arsenal had some big signings already so we need to keep the level up to be competitive.”
Meanwhile, Jorginho has insisted that he will stay at Chelsea for next season.
The Italian international has one year on his contract and there are speculations linking him with a move to Napoli and Juventus.
Speaking on the Chelsea official website, He said: “Of course, I love Chelsea. I feel very well here and of course, I’d like to stay.
“But you know, there is a lot going on and we don’t know. I am here now and I have a contract and I love to be here, I feel very well here. So I don’t think about moving anywhere.
“For many years now [there’s speculation]. Every single year.
“I don’t think like this. I just think about where I am and focus 100 percent. I’m at Chelsea and I think about Chelsea 100 percent.”