Are you looking for an easy guide on how to start a blog?
The step-by-step guide on this page will show you how to create a blog in 20 minutes with just the most basic computer skills.
After completing this guide, you will have a beautiful blog ready to share with the world.
This guide is made especially for beginners. I will walk you through every step, using plenty of pictures and videos to make it all clear.
My name is Scott Chow, and I will show you how to start blogging today. I have been building blogs and websites since 2002.
I know that starting a blog can seem overwhelming and intimidating. This free guide is all about blogging for beginners and will teach you how to become a blogger with just the most basic computer skills.
Learn how to create a blog in about 20 minutes following these steps:
How to Start a Blog in 6 Steps
- Pick a blog name. Choose a descriptive name for your blog.
- Get your blog online. Register your blog and get hosting.
- Customize your blog. Choose a free blog design template and tweak it.
- Write & publish your first post. Share your thoughts with the world. The fun part!
- Promote your blog. Get more people to read your blog with the proper marketing.
- Make money blogging. Choose from several options to monetize your blog.
Should you start a blog?
One of the misconceptions about starting a blog is that you need to be a great writer. Nothing could be further from the truth. People read blog sites to get a personal perspective, so most bloggers write in a very informal and conversational style.
And because of the format, many successful bloggers will write about various topics on the same blog.
To become successful as a blogger, there is just one requirement: a passion for your topic.
At its heart, blogging is about sharing your knowledge with the world. Writing about things that you are passionate about makes the process of starting a successful blog so much easier.
So why would you go to the trouble of blogging? There are a few reasons:
- Share your story. A blog allows you to have a voice and be heard. You can share your story with the entire world.
- Make money from home. Blogging can be quite lucrative if done correctly. The top bloggers earn quite a bit, but even a part-time blogger can expect to make a nice profit if things are done correctly.
- Recognition for yourself or your business. No, you probably won’t have paparazzi following you around because of your latest post.
- Find a community. Blogging at its heart is interactive. You write a post, and people comment on it.
What is a blog anyway?
In short, a blog is a type of website that focuses mainly on written content, also known as blog posts. In popular culture, we most often hear about news blogs or celebrity blog sites, but as you’ll see in this guide, you can start a successful blog on just about any topic imaginable.
Let’s start your blog!
Step 1: Pick a blog name
If you are not sure what to name your blog or what topic to blog about, skip to the next section.
If you’ve already got an idea for the name of your blog, you can check to make sure that no one else has already registered it:
See if your blog name is available:
Note: You cannot use any spaces or punctuation other than dashes in a domain name.
If you find that the name you wanted is already taken, there are a few things you can do:
- Try a different domain extension. If the .com version is already registered, you may still get the .net or .org version of the name.
- Add small words. Words like “a,” “my,” “best,” or “the.” For example, this site is called TheBlogStarter.com instead of BlogStarter.com.
- Add dashes between words—for example, Scott-chow.com.
How to Choose a Blog Topic & Name
If you don’t have an idea for a name already, choosing your blog topic is the first step.
If you’re not sure what to blog about, there are a few ways to find a good blog topic:
- Life experiences. Everyone has lessons they have learned through life experience. Sharing this knowledge can be incredibly helpful to others in similar situations.
- For example, I recently helped a woman start her blog about being a fireman’s wife. She has a lot of experience and knowledge to share with others about this topic, and it has helped her connect with others in similar situations.
Once you have a topic, choose your blog name, also known as your domain name.
A good blog name should be descriptive so that potential visitors can instantly tell what your blog is about just from the name.
Once you have some name ideas, you will need to choose a domain extension.
A .com domain extension is the most preferred, but .net or .org work.
Step 2: Get your blog online.
Now that you’ve got a name picked out, it’s time to get your blog online. This might sound hard or technical, but the steps below will walk you right through and make the process easy.
You must have a blog host to have a blog.
I use BlueHost, and I recommend them for all new bloggers because:
- They will register your custom domain name for free, ensuring no one else can take it.
- They have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you are unsatisfied for any reason.
- They offer a free, automatic installation of the WordPress blogging software (I show you how to use it in this guide).
- They have helpful 24/7 customer service via phone or webchat
- You will then need to create your BlueHost account and password.
Once you do that, you will take to an installation helper. Since you are following this tutorial, you can just click “Skip this step” on the next few pages to be taken directly to the dashboard.
- Install the WordPress blogging platform.
Now the system will install WordPress automatically. Once the installation is complete, click the “Log in to WordPress” button on the top right to be logged in to the administrator area of your blog.
Have trouble installing your blog? Get help here.
Step 3: Customize your blog
How do I start a blog? You can watch me build and customize a beautiful blog from scratch here:
The video above should answer many questions you might have about how to set up a blog and get it customized. Here is a step-by-step breakdown of some of the things I show in the video.
If you are not already logged in from the previous step, go to Bluehost.com and click “Login” on the top right to bring up the login screen. You can then log in using your domain name and the password you set in the previous step.
Changing your blog design
Once you log in, you will be in the WordPress dashboard. This is where you can make any changes you want to your blog.
Everyone has a different idea of how they want their blog to look. One of the great things about WordPress is that you can change your entire layout and design with just a few clicks.