US President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday evening that the US would withdraw funding to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Trump blasted the World Health Organization for its response to Covid-19 and charged them with mismanagement and cover ups.
“So much death has been caused by their mistakes,” claimed Trump in a White House press conference. He announced an investigation into the World Health Organization’s handling of the crisis. In 2019, the US provided 15% of WHO’s budget with a contribution of over $400 million.
Both China and the EU slammed Trump’s decision to withhold funding during a pandemic. China’s foreign ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijiang said that Trump’s decision would affect the global effort to fight the virus.
When asked if China will fill in the funding void created by Trump’s decision, Lijiang answered that Beijing “will look into relevant issues in line with the needs of the situation.”
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrel published a Tweet condemning Trump’s decision. The Tweet reads “Deeply regret US decision to suspend funding to @WHO. There is no reason justifying this move at a moment when their efforts are needed more than ever to help contain & mitigate the #coronavirus pandemic. Only by joining forces we can overcome this crisis that knows no borders.”
Richard Horton, the editor-in-chief of the Lancet medical journal, Tweeted, “Trump’s decision to defund WHO is simply this—a crime against humanity. Every scientist, every health worker, every citizen must resist and rebel against this appalling betrayal of global solidarity. “
Earlier before, President Trump Threatened China and the World Health Organization with investigation.
- Rob Reiner demands Donald Trump be removed from office over coronavirus handling
- Dr. Drew says he might challenge Adam Schiff for congressional seat
- How an Americanophile Lost His Faith in the U.S.
- Don Jr calls up pro-Trump 15-year-old who was attacked in NH: ‘My family has your back’
- US Prescribe chloroquine to fight coronavirus – (WATCH VIDEO)
- Bette Midler bashes ‘repulsive human male’ Donald Trump over his comments about Elizabeth Warren