A children’s rights campaigner and government officials in Kenya rescued a 12-year-old girl whose father had married her off to two men within a month.
The girl’s father in Narok County west of the capital Nairobi forced her to marry a 51-year-old man and then a 35-year-old man.
“The father gave her off to the elderly man to be married. She had no option than to get married to the younger man,” Joshua Kaputah from the Narok County Peace Association told the BBC.
“Some families are hungry and the prospect of receiving two or three cows as dowry is quite tempting,” he said.
The pandemic is now spreading swiftly in parts of the African continent of 1.3 billion people as the world’s most poorly funded health systems begin to face what experts have warned all along: They would be rapidly overwhelmed.
- Chris Attoh’s Father Passes On Few Months After His Wife Was Allegedly Murdered
- Kwadwo Wiafes’ Dad weeps bitterly at son’s funeral (VIDEO)
- Fox News Today: MS-13 crackdown — the largest ever in New York — ensnares nearly 100 members, associates
- Nigerian man who waited for 23 years to become a father, dies 7 months after welcoming a set of twin boys
- On eve of Iowa Caucus, Klobuchar faces tough questions over prosecuting teen who is jailed for life
- Former Pastor, Loren Copp is charged 65 years for child p3rnography