In the year 2021, sex trafficking accounted for 92 percent of all criminal cases involving human trafficking, and 57 percent of the victims were children.
According to the 2021 Federal Human Trafficking Report that was released on Friday, more than half of all victims of trafficking in the United States were under the age of 18. These victims included both adults and children.
A study conducted by the Human Trafficking Institute (HTI) found that in 2021, juveniles accounted for 57 percent of the 450 newly opened criminal cases involving victims of human trafficking (HTI).
Lindsey Lane, senior legal counsel for the Human Trafficking Institute, stated in a release on Friday that the 2021 Federal Human Trafficking Report is an excellent tool for both practitioners and the general public to evaluate our strategy for combating human trafficking through the Federal court system.
During the past year, sexting was responsible for 92 percent of all occurrences of criminal trafficking, while forced labor was responsible for the remaining 8 percent. In the year 2021, federal courts reached guilty verdicts in 96 percent of the cases they considered involving traffickers.