For those that don’t know or are confused about the changing terminology for growing kids of all ages, we can define the toddler stage as being that from age 1 onwards to 3 years or so.
As every stage of a child’s growth and development entails different caring, coping and feeding strategies. We are sure that you will benefit from using the promo codes for customers of Little Spoon to get baby meals any time. This site is packed with kiddie meal and ingredient options that will make all your toddler feeding worries disappear.
Child Development Stages
In the opinion of many child psychologists, the growth and development of your offspring can be delineated into the following popularly considered stages:
- Newborns: Right from the time a baby is delivered, till the age of 3 months or 90 days, a child is considered as a newborn. The predominant food for this age group is mother’s milk that is full of natural ingredients.
- This covers the time period of 3 to 12 months. Children of this age group are usually given mother’s milk and water soluble, easily digestible, primarily liquid based foods called smoothies.
- Getting a popular and time tested baby food formula that also includes the proper balance of Iron, Zinc, Magnesium and other vitamins and minerals is supremely important.
- It is notable that health experts have identified a stage between 8 and 12 months, where a growing infant can take and handle food between its fingers.
- Accordingly, pediatricians maintain and define finger foods as those that can be administered to such infants that can be picked up and eaten by them.
- Toddlers: Toddlers may be defined to be of the ages between 1 and 3 years. Foods that are usually given to the toddler age group include fruits, grains, vegetables, proteins and milk based foods.
Children of this age group are active and eager to explore the world around them and must be carefully and properly managed.
- Preschoolers: The popular usage of this term among young parents will cover the age group of 3 to 4 years. At this stage, parents and caregivers should ensure to include the basics of a well-balanced meal into their child’s diet.
A proper mix of all the food groups like proteins, carbohydrates, fats, oils, as well as regular servings of fruits and vegetables will meet this plan.
- This refers to the time when most children are put into formal schooling at between 4 to 5 years of age.
- But in fact I would say that adherence to these principles of feeding kids should well be kept in mind till they are at least 12 years of age and entering their teenage years.
- Foods to be given to kids at this stage of their lives (the schooling age) would cover fruits, vegetables, yoghurt and other milk based products, besides the usual preponderance of proteins, carbohydrates, fats, oils and other vitamin and mineral based food products.
The American Dietary Association has identified a list of foods that are beneficial for this age group and this should be considered when planning and administering to the nutritional needs of growing school going children.
Meeting the Needs at toddler stage
As previously explained, toddlers may be defined as those kids who are between one to three years of age. Some parents remain confused and perplexed as to the needs of this particular age group- as they rank between infants and pre-school age groups.
Added to this perplexity is the fact that the children of this particular age group are also beset with their own particular physical and emotional needs. These need to be carefully and expertly managed. We daresay that you have heard of the term the Terrible Two’s and that covers most of it.
In fact, the opinion of many child experts would indicate that these physical and emotional changes covers the age ranging from 2 to 4 years of age.
What Really Constitutes a Well Balanced Diet?
Right from our school going days, we have been hearing of the many benefits of a well-balanced diet. But you would be amazed to note that even today, there has never really been a consensus among the scientific community about the constituents of a well-balanced diet.
However, one popular school of thought opines that a well-balanced diet should include well considered proportions of whole grains, nuts, legumes, fresh fruits and vegetables.
It is also recommended to follow the dietary guidelines pointed out by the Food and Drug Administration and keeping in mind the precautions as advised by the Centers for Disease Control in the USA.
In fact, there is a widely publicized diagram called the Food Pyramid that not only gives the recommended servings on a per day basis but also their percentage as part of a well-balanced diet.
All parents who are serious about providing their kids a well- balanced diet are advised to follow these guidelines and they simply cannot go wrong. A well- balanced diet will fill up your kids with all the nutrition they need for their bodies to function optimally, that is in the best possible way.
Joining the Little Spoon Parents Community
A healthy body with a healthy mind. It will make your kids feel better and look better, as well as help them do better in school and at play. It helps your kids perform at their best 24 hours a day.
In case you are still having a problem regarding this issue, we would advise you to seriously consider joining the Little Spoon Parents community through their immensely popular forum called Is This Normal. If you are still doubtful about the benefits of joining this site, fear no more and do so at the very earliest.