Energy is vital – now that you’re ‘baking that bun’ in the oven. But when you need your blissful battery-recharging rest the most, it’s often nowhere to be found. That is particularly true about the 3rd trimester when the ‘bun’ expands, and your organs are being pushed up and to the sides. As a result, finding a comfy slumber-well position may be tricky. However, with quality equipment by your side, you are sure to get much-needed nighttime support for your transformed body.
Yes, a top-notch pregnancy cushion is a useful accessory for your nocturnal rituals. Crafted expressly to support your growing frame so you can get restful sleep in bump-friendly positions, these pillows are a game-changer. That is particularly true if you manage to lay your hands on the right one for your unique situation. Because with an array of aspects to take into account, the whole thing can truly make your head spin.
Nevertheless, finding the best tempurpedic pillow is challenging but doable. Especially now that you’re here reading this post, where we’ll provide you with some handy tips for shopping for the right item. In this guide, you’ll find some handy hacks for choosing the best polyfoam-stuffed snuggle-up-to friend on the scene. Keep reading.
So, what exactly is a pregnancy pillow? It’s a cushion purposefully created to prop your entire body as it gets bigger throughout this charming period. It aids in taking the pressure off your vulnerable body parts and preventing any discomfort — while providing proper neck-spine-hip alignment for a better and longer nighttime rest.
These cushions are great for making you comfortable even if you’re on your couch. They’ll support your back whenever you’re up for enjoying your favorite show or cuddling up with a must-read bestseller. Many moms-to-be across the globe claim that maternity pillows make all the difference.
With so many boosting-pregnant-sleep pillow types available, opting for what’s truly right for you may seem impossible. Don’t panic. We’ll help you make the right choice. Before we get to that, we’ll cover the perks of using these magic pillows in general. Stay tuned.
While some moms-to-be live through multiple pregnancies without any additional nocturnal support, other ladies could use some sleep aid starting from the very first weeks of growing that bump. Irrespective of your sleeping habits, there are truly one-of-a-kind advantages of cuddling up to a best-suiting sleeping accessory. Below, we’ve rounded up some of them for you.
- They bring satisfaction and pain relief. As your belly grows, you start feeling heavier, and these changes happen literally every day. That often causes sleeping problems, as you’re constantly struggling to find the right nighttime-rest position. With a good cushion, your entire body achieves super satisfying alignment and relief. It props up your belly and relieves pressure on your particularly aching areas.
- They help get your sleeping posture right. Rolling over and shifting positions when in the arms of Morpheus is more than natural. However, as your shape changes, certain positions may become temporarily unreachable. For instance, resting on your stomach and your back is not recommended, especially during the late periods of expecting your little one. As a matter of fact, side sleeping is best once you approach the second trimester. A well-suited cushion will help you achieve maximum comfort without tempting you to roll onto your back just the way you like.
- They make shifting rest postures a cakewalk. With a top-notch maternity pillow at your disposal, you’ll find altering your rest postures a lot easier. You won’t even have to develop a strategy in your mind before doing that! A lot of moms-to-be say that their pregnancy pillows help them relieve leg cramps, as well as prevent joint pain and ongoing discomfort around the hip area. To reduce discomfort, just position the accessory between your legs and enjoy your nighttime ‘twists and turns’.
- They bolster blood flow. Back-resting is no good in terms of enhancing blood flow to the baby. With a nice pregnancy cushion at hand, you’ll feel most comfortable side-sleeping, which is the healthiest spot blood circulation-wise.
- They assist you in dealing with various health issues. Whether you’re facing joint pain, heartburn, or reflux, that bun in the oven does come with a few sleep-damaging side effects. A quality custom cushion will assist you in preventing them, and thousands of reviews from future moms are living proof of that.
- They can be utilized as nursing and/or postpartum recovery equipment. Your mom-to-be pillow will help you with postpartum recovery during those uneasy times when your entire body is in pain. Furthermore, you can transform your soft-friend-for-sleeping into a nursing cushion for feeding your tiny sweetheart.
Each pregnancy is different. That’s why there’s a treasure trove of pillow types to cater to the various needs of future moms. When seeking the best pregnant sleep support for you, you should be well aware of the details behind pregnancy cushion classification. Explore each type below and then equip yourself with this knowledge in order to stick with the best item for your needs.
1. Wedge-shaped. This type is smaller compared to the rest. When placed below your stomach or on your back, it excels in supporting your daily-changing body. Also, because this pillow raises your head above the usual height, it can quell the fire of your heartburn.
2. Full-length. This type is pretty self-explanatory, as it provides a cushion to your whole body. While it’s perfect for a supportive snuggle-up position, your spine will be left quite wobbly in it. There are straight and flexible full-length maternity pillows.
3. Total-body. These pillows cater to women of any size and height. And they’re perfect if you’re on the prowl for stable spine support. Also, this type aids in reducing discomfort in your back and hip area. This category breaks down into 3 types:
- U-shaped: offering an ideal 360-degree prop, these suckers have you covered on both sides and are great for granting your head, neck, tummy, and back sufficient prop;
- C-shaped: this type is all about all-around-prop, as well. Flipping every time you want to roll over is a must-do with this cushion;
- J-shaped: this candy-cane-like honey is best to support either your back or your belly. No all-in-one approach here.
When on the hunt for the right mommy-to-be cushion for you, you’re aimed at the perfect balance of firmness and softness, as well as the impeccable comfort. Now, here’s some info on further aspects to take into account prior to making that purchase:
- what it’s made of: whether it’s cotton or polyfoam, touching it should feel nice to you;
- what it’s stuffed with: memory foam is your best bet filling-wise;
- is it ‘supportive’ enough: this brings up the topic of size i.e., the larger the ‘wrap’, the more support your sore body parts get;
- the question of shape: depending on where exactly you need maximum prop (your back, belly, or both), opt for one of the aforementioned shape-based types;
- should it be firm: if your mommy-pillow is not firm enough, it will fail to serve its potentially brilliant functions;
- versatility matters: the possibility to change your cushion into various body-benefitting shapes is a huge bonus;
- noise and smell: if you’re a light sleeper, avoid opting for awkward-smelling pillows that make strange noises as you change your position in bed;
- hypoallergenic is vital: keeping allergies at bay is a must during pregnancy, don’t forget about that when choosing that magic pillow;
- budget-friendliness: this shouldn’t be among your prior concerns, but the price is vital, too.
- portability: whether you’re visiting your parents or need to be elsewhere outside your home, how portable your nocturnal body supporter is paramount;
- ease of maintenance: you need a pillow that’s a breeze to clean and speedy to dry.
If you’re on a mission to boost your nighttime rest quality as you’re expecting, you should avoid overeating. Cut down on spicy and fatty yummies. Do your best to exercise daily: choose yoga or something similar for enhanced blood circulation. Stay hydrated throughout the day, but avoid drinking water before going to bed. That way, you’ll save yourself from wobbling to the toilet in the middle of the night.
Wondering why your standard pillows are usually not the best choice for the bun-in-the-oven period? Well, because they were not made for expectant women. They are prone to sliding around as you change positions in your sleep, which often causes discomfort and pain. That isn’t to say that you should make any changes if you’re used to your regular bedding and feeling comfortable with it during your baby-expectant time…
On the whole, however, thanks to a top-of-the-line mom-to-be pillow, you will finally fall into the arms of Morpheus without having to wake up all the time. They are a great safety accessory and can also perform a multitude of postpartum functions. Cutting to the chase, yes, absolutely, these specialized cushions are totally worth it. So, including this wonderful item on your to-buy list is a must. Enjoy your great naps and extremely satisfying all-around body support. Have anything to add on the topic? Comment away below to get the discussion going!