ECG Staff undergo fire safety training

ECG Staff undergo fire safety training

The Electricity Company of Ghana, Central Region has organized a two-day training on fire safety, emergency preparedness and evacuation for staff.

The training, facilitated by resource persons from the Ghana National Fire Service, brought together hundred participants on day one and two respectively from all ten operational districts in the region.

Speaking during the opening ceremony of the training workshop, the General Manager, Ing. Ebenezer Ghunney said, fire protection and safety are mandatory requirements under the Fire Precaution (Premises) Regulations, 2003 (L.I 1724) and L.I 2249 of 2016. Thus, it was expedient to ensure that capacity of staff are built on methods of fighting fire and evacuation during emergency situations.

This he said, falls in line with one of the passionate objectives of the Managing Director, Mr. Kwame Agyeman-Budu, to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff, third-party contractors and consumers.

Mr. Kwesi Hughes (DCO III), Regional Safety Officer of the Ghana National Fire Service explained that, fire outbreaks can emanate from accidents, negligence, carelessness or arson. He added that, the use of sub-standard cables, overloading of extension boards, improper wiring and over aged cables/electrical appliances could spark fire outbreaks.

Also Read: Staff of collapsed banks urged to take up artisanal jobs

During the training, participants were educated on the different types of fire extinguishers namely; Water Extinguisher, Dry Powder Extinguisher, Carbon Dioxide Extinguisher and Foam Extinguisher. They were also taken through pragmatic methods of combating fire using the extinguishers.

The Regional Engineer, Ing. Bismark Otoo, said: “This exercise forms part of efforts to periodically refresh staff on basic safety related issues and deepen their knowledge on evacuation procedures.”

Ing. Enoch Asante, Regional Safety Officer, intimated that, staff need to be conscious of measures to prevent fires which could result in destroying lives and properties. He also advised staff to take personal responsibility with regard to safety as they carry out their daily routine.

Ing. Otoo commended staff for their massive participation and urged them to put the knowledge received into action.

blank