There’s something uniquely exciting about going to a vape shop like V2 Cigs UK and shopping for your first vaping device. Part of the excitement might have something to do with the fact that buying a new electronic gadget is always fun, but there’s more to it than that. It’s possible that you’ve been a smoker for a very long time. Before you decided to make the switch to vaping, you might have resigned yourself to the possibility that you could end up being a smoker for the rest of your life. Then, you discovered vaping and learned that millions of people around the world have quit smoking successfully with the help of e-cigarettes. You finally have hope – perhaps for the first time – that becoming tobacco free could actually be a realistic possibility for you.
Before you can make that final leap and start vaping, though, you need to choose your first vaping device – and with so many different vaping products in the world today, that’s not an easy task.
We’re going to show you how to make things simple.
Instead of looking at the pool of vaping devices as a broad list of hundreds of products, it’s much easier to think of them in terms of the narrow categories and styles they occupy. That way, you can eliminate some of the categories by answering a few questions about your preferences. When you’re done, you’ll have a much smaller pool of products to consider.
Choose your first vape by answering these three simple questions.
Do You Want a Pre-Filled or Refillable Vape?
The first thing that you’ll need to do when you buy your first vape is choose between a refillable device and one that uses pre-filled pods or cartridges. You’ve probably noticed that traditional tobacco retailers typically sell vaping devices of the pre-filled variety, while refillable vapes are usually only available at specialty vape shops. The fact that vape shops typically only sell refillable devices should tell you something about the quality of the prefilled devices – but that doesn’t mean pre-filled devices aren’t right for anyone. Ultimately, choosing between pre-filled vs. refillable vapes comes down to a choice between convenience and flavor selection. These are some of the things that you should consider as you make your decision.
- Pre-filled vapes usually cost less up front because the manufacturers of those devices make most of their money selling the refill pods. Refillable devices cost a little more up front, but they tend to have lower-long term costs because bottled e-liquid costs less than refill pods.
- Pre-filled vapes are the smallest and most convenient vaping devices on the market. They’re very easy to use – all that you need to do is charge the battery, drop in a pod and vape.
- Refillable vapes allow you to enjoy the widest possible variety of e-liquid flavors. There are hundreds of bottled e-liquid flavors on the market, but only a small percentage of those flavors are ever available for pre-filled devices.
Do You Want a Mouth-to-Lung or Direct-to-Lung Vape?
When you visit a vape shop for the first time, you’ll learn that there’s a much wider variety of vaping devices in the world than you might have realized. You’ll find a range of devices ranging from small pod-based systems to full-sized box mods with glass tanks – and the most important thing to know when you begin the process of shopping for your first vape is that vaping devices can be designed for two different inhaling styles. Choosing between those inhaling styles will help you further narrow down your pool of potential devices to buy.
- Smaller vaping devices are designed for the mouth-to-lung (MTL) inhaling style. As a new vaper, you’re likely to prefer MTL vaping because it’s the inhaling style you use when smoking a cigarette. MTL vapes are the smallest and most discreet vaping devices, so an MTL vape is the best choice if you want something that’s light and very portable. MTL vapes work best with higher-nicotine e-liquids, so they’ll give you a strong, assertive throat hit that makes vaping feel as much like smoking as possible.
- Larger vaping devices are designed for the direct-to-lung (DTL) inhaling style. With this inhaling style, you’ll inhale the vapor directly into your lungs instead of drawing it into your mouth first. The DTL vaping style isn’t particularly popular with new vapers, but some experienced vapers enjoy it because DTL vaping can produce enormous clouds. Another benefit of DTL vaping is that, because you’re inhaling a massive amount of vapor with each puff, you’ll enjoy extremely bold flavors. The reason why new vapers usually don’t prefer DTL vaping devices, though, is because those devices work best with lower-nicotine e-liquids. Although you’ll enjoy big clouds and bold flavors, you’ll experience very little throat hit. Many people find that the lack of throat hit is a deal-breaker when they’re trying to quit smoking.
Do You Want a Pod-Based or Tank-Based Vape?
If you’re buying a refillable vape, the last thing you’ll need to do to narrow the pool of candidates is decide whether you want a device that stores its e-liquid in a glass tank or plastic pods. Pod-based systems and tank-based vape pens are both popular among new vapers, and both have their own benefits and drawbacks.
- Pod vapes are some of the smallest and trendiest vaping devices on the market. If you like the idea of owning a vaping device that’s fashionable and easy to slip into your pocket when you’re not using it, you’ll probably enjoy using a pod system. When you have a pod system, changing flavors is a breeze. You can fill multiple pods – each with its own e-liquid flavor – and switch between the pods whenever you’re in the mood for a change.
- Vape pens tend to be a little larger than pod systems, but the larger size means that they often produce bigger vapor clouds and offer better battery life. That’s an important feature to consider if you’re a heavy smoker, because the bigger cloud production may lead to a more satisfying experience. Another benefit of vape pens is that their tanks are usually made from glass. Because glass is chemically inert, some people believe that a glass tank produces a superior flavor compared to a plastic vape pod.