Food Poisoning

Child Food Poisoning: What Parents Should Learn About

Parenting isn’t an easy task to do. Being a parent, we change the stinky diaper, deal with stomach bugs, spend hours to make them fall asleep, etc. But wait, we can’t skip how we deal with food poisoning in kids because it is also an important topic to discuss. 

Food poisoning is caused by bacteria, germs, or viruses. It may go for a few days, but it can shrink you and weaken your or your child’s health. It causes the intake of food or water that contains germs, viruses, bacteria, etc.

Children younger than 5 have a high risk of causing food poisoning because their immune system can’t fight back with germs as an adult’s system can do. Having diarrhea due to food poisoning can disturb them and you too. What we should learn about?

Symptoms of Food Poisoning in Kids 

Tainted food can show its signs after 30 minutes or two days. The cause can show different symptoms:

  • Throwing up
  • Fever
  • Cramps and pain in the belly
  • Feeling weak
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea

I remember when I was 5, I suffered from food poisoning. A child doctor in Lahore treated me well and suggested my parents always wash the hands before making the food or feeding the children.

How to Treat Your Child?

At first, you do not need any treatment because food poisoning often goes on its own. But we should not take a risk and need to call a pediatrician for your child’s exam. In case your child does not hold fluid, it causes dehydration. We parents must go to the doctor and replace the fluid with the child’s loss.

How to Care For Kids?

Parents should not skip the fluids as they help to keep the children hydrated. Many people often drink more milk or fizzy drinks, and the condition gets worse. You should avoid feeding them in the early hours.

Pedialyte or formula milk can help the kids to keep them hydrated. If your kid is older than 6, you should try flavored drinks, popsicles, juices, water, etc. Plenty of rest can help to ease their condition. 

When your kids show the signs of food poisoning, you should not feed them until the stomach settles down. Start with small amounts of food and feed them with only non-fatty foods, like crackers, rice, toast, dry cereal, etc. 

What Signs Show Serious Condition Of Food Poisoning? 

We can suffer from any illness, but it is more difficult to see your child in pain. We should learn about the basic things that we can use to protect our children from any sickness. Food poisoning is the most common illness that can weaken your kids.

 Let’s explore some symptoms that show your child needs a doctor: 

  • Dry mouth
  • No energy
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Extreme thirst
  • Not peeing much
  • Soft spot on ahead of an infant
  • Eyes look sunken in
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness

We should plan a healthy diet plan for our kids. A healthy immune system can fight against food poisoning. 

Foods to Consider For Your Kids 

  • Feed your kids food that doesn’t have sugar substitutes. Avoid the use of brown sugar, syrups, etc.
  • Ask your child to drink more often during the meal or when they eat their snacks.
  • Choose actual fruits rather than offering them juices all the time.
  • Serve food to your kids that is low in sodium.
  • Excessive sodium intake can increase the chances of obesity in kids.
  • Omega-3 acid or omega-6 acid is the best fatty acid for your kids’ health.

We should take care while feeding the children because bacteria or viruses can enter the body with hands. Parents must teach their children to wash their hands before eating and to be careful while eating. 

Outlook

Doctors from the Niazi hospital say that many parents get worried when their kids do not eat enough food. They also suggest not putting pressure on them. Always offer a variety of foods to your kids as it will help them to develop a strong immune system. We should know that a strong immune system can fight against bacteria and other germs. Studies show that children’s appetites change from day-to-day. Parents should also avoid feeding them again and again, or it can also cause food poisoning.