The firefighters had to smother the ignited fire at Tesla by burying it in a pit that had water in it. Only then were they successful in putting out the inferno.
At the beginning of this month, a fire broke out in a Tesla Model S that was parked at a junkyard in the northern part of California. According to the Sacramento Fire District, firefighters used 4,500 gallons of water to put out the fire that was started in the vehicle. Despite their best attempts, the fire continued to start up again and again.
The electric car had been in an accident three weeks earlier and was set to have its components removed when it caught fire. The accident had occurred just before the scheduled removal of the vehicle’s components.
According to a statement issued by the department, this was the first time Metro Fire responded to a fire involving a Tesla. When they arrived, the car was completely engulfed in flames, and putting out the fire required a significant amount of time, water, and innovative thinking.
“The fire in the vehicle’s battery compartment continued to spread even after workers had the vehicles under control and extinguished the flames. The Tesla was tipped onto its side, and with the assistance of the workers from the wrecking yard who were present, the workers were able to access the battery compartment that was located underneath the vehicle.”